Friday, May 25, 2007

My First Blog

I'm writing this seated at office desk at half-past midnight. ( It has taken me a good 20 mintues to write the next sentence). Can't recall the first time I heard about blog, proabably around a year and half back. The impression(which lasted until a couple of months back) I had was that it something was the programmers and hackers used to post their endeavours, and hence i did not start blogging until tonight. I know many(especially those work in the software industry) would consider this indifference towards my source of livelihood as a blasphemy, but over the little time I've spent here, it has dawned on me that life as a software worker(sounds more appropriate than professional) SUCKS! (a fresher speaks his mind. i'll probably write a separate article on this after speaking to my ilk and sharing experiences with them).



A couple of months back I was having a conversation with a child hood friend of mine on orkut, and I happened to visit his blog, not of curiosity but just because I had nothing better to do at work (days/nights like that are far and few between). His blog visit turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I quickly went through blogs of my other friends and saw that they wrote about stuff which happened in their normal life. College gatherings, long drives, interviews, even movie reviews(most of which were about so called off-beat crappy bollywood movies). That's when i thought that maybe I should start blogging as well.



I do not have/never had exceptional writing skills(I intend to get better at it), but I always did okay at school(except for 12th standard which was a total disaster). The first time I realized this was when I got into 9th class. I still somehow remember this day very well, it was an English class and were supposed to write an essay comparing the lives of 2 kids, one was from a well-off family and the other who worked at a tea-stall or something to support his mum and sis. Our teacher was instrucintg the students to come up with a kick-ass beginnning to their essay. She turned to me and asked how I would begin mine, probably because I was the new kid in school. I blurted out "Life is not a bed of roses and this saying is apt in the case of the poor kid". The teacher acknowledged that it was a decent way to start off an essay and that was the first time it occured to me that I could probably do a decent job on writing. Sadly, I did not work on building my writing skills, even though my dad constantly kept prodding me(and at times yelling out of frustration) to keep reading and writing articles (He still does, and I hope this is a start).



It was not until I started preapring for my GRE examination that I started writing on articles again. The rekindling happened as it was an obligation, if I wanted a decent overall score, I had to do well in my Analytical Writing Module. Though it was an obligation, I started anjoying writing again, and I did fairly well in this section during the two times I answered my exam. A 5/6 which isn't all that bad.

Haven't written anything since 30-10-2006, the day i answered my TOEFL exam, and I've made a promise to myself to make this a habit. Gotta stop now, this is turning out to be boring! Anymore and no one's gonna read this crap, not even me.

No comments: